Thursday, June 5, 2014

Shabby Chic Girls Bedroom Makeover


My oldest daughter {6 years old} has been begging for her own room for quite a while now. So we finally made the transition. We turned our extra bedroom/office into her dream room! She was involved with every step of the process to create this adorable bedroom. 



This adorable white lamp I found at Wal-Mart of all places. It was only $6 plus the cost of the shade. I wanted to make it match the room a little better, so we used some scrap fabric and ribbon and tied it around the bumps. We love it! She loves it even more, because she can read all her summer books in bed at night! {win! win!} 


We couldn't find a twin size comforter that we both liked. She made a list of the colors that she HAD to have and there was nothing that met her strict criteria. We ended up making our own quilt. It turned out so much better than we anticipated. With the mad sewing skills of my mother-in-law, we were able to make the perfect striped quilt. We found all our material at JoAnn's Fabrics. 

We started by making 8 inch strips of each of our fabrics. Then we sewed two strips together at the short ends to make a long strip. 



We spread out our fabrics next  to each other on the carpet to decide how we liked our pattern to go. We didn't do a repeating pattern. We just decided what looked best next to each other. 


Once we figured out our pattern, we sewed each strip together. We pressed all the seams open, so we would have a nice finish on the entire quilt. 


After tying the quilt, we just folded the bottom over and finished the edges. I LOVE how it turned out. It is the perfect quilt for my little girl. The colors have her name written all over them! 



I {LOVE} this window treatment! It's super shabby and even more simple to make! NO SEW too, which is always a bonus! 


I used the scraps from the quilt. I cut the scraps into 1 inch strips. The were each about 12 inches long. They weren't all exactly the same size, which I liked because it added to the look.


I simply made a loop and pulled both ends through around the string. I used some fuzzy yarn to tie this together. I was also thinking burlap would have been cute. I just kept adding different color fabrics all the way to the end and {VIOLA} the perfect window treatment for a little girls room!


The last thing I added to her room was her cute nighstand. My friend actually gave me this nightstand for FREE! She was moving and couldn't take it with her. I'm super sad that she is moving, but thankful for this gem! 

Here are the before, during, and after pictures! Make sure if you are going to redo any furnature that you always sand it down LOTS before. Then make sure you use a good PRIMER during. Let it dry completely, and then add your paint. Between each coat of paint, make sure you let it dry completely too. I always put a laquor on top of my furnature peices that I know my kids will be using a lot. I helps protect it and makes cleaning up little fingerprints a TON easier. This whole process too me a good 5 days. Be patient and let everything cure long enough. You'll thank me in the end! 





I hoped you liked all the fun ideas I put in this room. I sure had fun creating it with my lovely daughter! Thanks to my mother-in-law again for her help with the sewing. I know this is going to be a room that my daughter can grow into and will last for a long time. Come back soon for more ideas to TEACH, CREATE, and PARTY! 



No comments:

Post a Comment